Saturday, December 15, 2007


Snake Bight Trail

Tue, 12/11/07

Everglades:
Drove back to Flamingo this morning and took the 10:00 a.m. boat tour. Saw our first salt water crocs. Went through the mangroves to Coot Bay and through another set of mangroves to White Water Bay and then back. White Water Bay is a huge body of water that provides access to the back country and the 10,000 islands. Interesting tour. On the way back to the campground we walked the Snake Bight trail which was beautiful. Right through the mangroves next to a slough about 20 feet wide. The trail was covered in a canopy of various trees and other vegetation. Vegetation so thick you could only see the water in glimpses. I kept getting the feeling I’d turn around and the trail would have completely grown over behind us. Guess I’ve been reading too many Steven King books. We did see a big gator (12 ft or so) sunning himself. I wore my snake gaiters for the first time. Thought they would be uncomfortable, but they weren’t bad at all. Mike let me lead the way of course. Back to our campsite and something cool to drink. Got pretty sweaty walking the trail. By the way, got talking to the tour guide about the pythons. If you people up north think you’re safe, you’d better think again. They figure by about 2025 they’ll be as far north as Long Island! There’s just no stopping them I guess. Yikes!


No comments: